Sunday, October 25, 2009

fall days, dog days.

Matt and I took the fuzz balls down to the park today. Matt fell in love with the idea of getting an Airedale Terrier as our next dog and was even looking up info on the breed on his iPhone while we were there. I think we have "next dogs" lined up for years —since we're not going to be a three dog household. Also on the waiting list, dog names. I still want to call a dog Spiderman and we are definitely having a dog named ASBO at some point. But Matt pointed out that people names for dogs are pretty awesome and I agree. I see an Airedale named Charlie in our future somewhere.

Maggie stayed on-leash, but did better this time than previous ones while being around a lot of other dogs. Maggie's kind of a work in progress. I don't know what her previous owners did to her, but I can tell you that they didn't work on socializing her AT ALL. So it's been a slow and steady process just getting her to the point where she's not flipping out when she sees another dog she doesn't know. The headcollar helps.

I need to remember to bring my camera the next time I go to Ellison (which might just be tomorrow afternoon). Not only are the trees gorgeous in their fall colors, but I'd love to have some photos of my little social butterfly running around with the other dogs down there.

In other canine news, Clark needs to lose a few pounds: so sayeth the vet as well as the agility instructor. He's not morbidly obese, but on a little dog, two or three pounds can make all the difference. So, that means I just finished cooking dinner for the dog. Hah. It's nothing ornate, I'm just cutting his dog food intake by half and replacing that with cooked veggies. Tonight I learned that cooked carrots, peas and spinach are awesome —a sprinkling of uncooked celery... not so much.

With both Matt and I getting on the eating right and exercise wagon, it's kinda funny/weird to have Clark jumping on board. Maggie... well, Maggie has a goddamn hummingbird metabolism.

No comments: